Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Waiting on Wednesday: The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert


A weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine

Title: The Hazel Wood
Author: Melissa Alpert
Published: January 30, 2018 by Flatiron Books (Macmillan)

Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Alice and her mother have spent most of Alice’s life on the road, always a step ahead of the uncanny bad luck biting at their heels. But when Alice’s grandmother, the reclusive author of a cult-classic book of pitch-dark fairy tales, dies alone on her estate, the Hazel Wood, Alice learns how bad her luck can really get: Her mother is stolen away―by a figure who claims to come from the Hinterland, the cruel supernatural world where her grandmother's stories are set. Alice's only lead is the message her mother left behind: “Stay away from the Hazel Wood.”

Alice has long steered clear of her grandmother’s cultish fans. But now she has no choice but to ally with classmate Ellery Finch, a Hinterland superfan who may have his own reasons for wanting to help her. To retrieve her mother, Alice must venture first to the Hazel Wood, then into the world where her grandmother's tales began―and where she might find out how her own story went so wrong.

Why I'm Waiting:

I am always in the market for a new YA fantasy and this one sounds completely fantastic. For one thing it has that modern fairy tale sort of vibe. I love when there are new books that remind me of classic fairy tales or fantasy reads. I have a feeling that The Hazel Wood is going to be one of those books. On top of that. books in forests are always fun and atmospheric which I enjoy, plus this one seems like it will be a pretty dark fantasy and that is also something I enjoy.

I have heard good things from blogger friends who have read this already so I am very excited to read it myself. I picked up a copy at ALA so I can start it at any time. But knowing me I will wait until January to read it.



What about you? What are you waiting for this Wednesday? Are you waiting on Artemis along with me? Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

3 comments:

  1. It's a very interesting premise. Grandma writes these dark tales, rabid fan kidnaps daughter, and the granddaughter must go into a supernatural world to save her. I think this could be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh nice! I liked this one! Definitely different from what I anticipated but still incredible! Though what I really want is that book of fairy tales that this story surrounds! Lol!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me a good YA fantasy. The cover is gorgeous and the synopsis sounds interesting. I can see why you're waiting on this one!

    ReplyDelete